Our 4-day advanced improvement practitioner course aims at developing the key skills and attributes required of a senior, self-starting improvement practitioner. The course adds significant depth to the basic fundamentals of the Operations Excellence and improvement principles taught at LCS 1B and 1C, with a specific focus on handling related implementation challenges. Delegates will be provided with a breadth of diagnosis tools and techniques to help them identify a much wider variety of organisational improvement opportunities.
The course will also provide them with a practical model for approaching complex transformations, spanning multiple department or functions and allow them to develop an appreciation of the people-related skills required to mobilise and sustain change.
DAY 1: Advanced Analysis Tools and Techniques
The module covers advanced tools and
techniques that can identify and drive further
improvement. Topics covered include;
• An 8-lever model for cost reduction.
• Organisational analysis - how to assess, cost
and redesign organisations.
• Quantifying additional forms of loss – rigidity,
variability and waste.
• Skills and capability analysis - assessing the
tangible impact of skills deficiencies.
• Overall Process Efficiency (OPE) - learn how
to identify and quantify hidden waste.
DAY 2: Deploying OpEx Ways of Working
Delegates will learn a proven method for
deploying Operations Excellence ways
of working across multiple teams in
The focus is on how to coach out an Operations
Excellence Management System to frontline
leaders and to help overcome typical challenges
faced when doing so. Covering;
• Customer purpose and purposeful measures.
• Performance boards and performance meetings.
• Personal capacity management.
• Team capacity management.
• Skills management.
• Standard work.
• Process confirmation.
• Team-based problem solving.
DAY 3: End-to-end transformation or customer
Taught following a structured roadmap, you will
understand how to manage complex change
spanning multiple functions.
This part of the course covers the change and
stakeholder management skills that are vital
due to the size and benefits of the scale of the
DAY 4: Psychology of change
The last day of the course is focussed on making
change happen and covers three key topics:
• Changing readiness - understand how to assess
an organisation’s ability to change and how to
• Changing mindsets - learn some practical
models to support.
• Coaching - learn some additional coaching
models that can be used to support commonly
used methods such as GROW, enhancing your
Cardiff University - LCS Level 2a