Wers Plastics turns Polyethylene and Polypropylene in all it’s forms into a fully high density pellet. The aim of this is to safeguard the environment and to help the future growth of the business. We supply the plastic to companies who manufacture Automotive components and drainage pipe.
Our Green start project created a real awareness here of the high energy costs involved in running the plant. The right approach and assistance is bringing real and sustainable improvement into the business.
GREENSTART Project Objectives
- Become more competitive by Implementing energy saving opportunities
- Review of legal compliance for the business
- To offset increasing costs
- Resources available to complete tasks
Training needs identified:
- Resources allocated when ROI is within specific time period
- Legal compliance will be reviewed regularly
- Power factor correction installed.
- Identify energy efficiency opportunities
- Identify production efficiency opportunities.
The energy efficiency review measured and provided insight into running cost and costs of stand-by energy consumption for the following equipment.
The equipment was measured:
- Office load
- Granulators consumption
- Compressor energy consumption
- Picking line
- Wash plant
The following resource efficiency projects has been completed:
- Compressed air losses were identified. Also the air pressure was reduced by one bar
- We identified and specified heat recovery for the wash plant from the extruder. This is being installed currently
- Production efficiency of more than 10% was achieved by working on loading sequence, machine optimisation and training
Potential Cost Savings Identified:
Compressed Air Bar Pressure: €1,900
Compressed air leaks: €1,200
Heat recovery: €2,400
HDPE pellets production and sales has improved by over 20% with 10% being attributed to efficiency gains.
The Overall Equipment Effectiveness has improved. The Company now has less changeovers and breakdowns, working with mainly one product.
A high quality HDPE pellet is a commodity in demand and sells easily. The increase in sales is mainly due to the increase in outputs.
The heat recovery from the extruder has been specified and is being installed.
Significant savings were achieved as a result of participating in the project. An energy saving of 29500 KWH or financial savings of €4100 per annumwas achieved through energy efficiency measures and production efficiency.