Vention Medical Inc is an industry leader in the design, development, and contract manufacturing of complex plastic based medical devices targeted to the interventional and minimally invasive market areas. The company specialises in a range of medical balloons, heat shrink tubing, clean room injection moulding, contract assembly, and packaging services.
Lean Start Project Objectives
This project was to improve an Introducer Sheath manufacturing assembly line. This product is used to aid the delivery of stints to the blockages in the peripheral vasculature.
- Approach Project using the DMAIC Process and solutions employed to be “lean”.
- Reduce Defects by 50% (from 19.58% to 9.74%)
- Improve margin by 15% to achieve target margin.
- Resource strain due to changing business priorities
- Lack of lean knowledge
- Removing “monuments” from the process
- Breaking down passive resistance across the business.
- Removal of 100% inspection steps.
- Harmonising inspection from raw extruded tube through assembly right to customer specification so to align what the customer valued with our end product.
- Introduction of a new processing station to allow one piece flow.
- Rejects Reduced by 69% to 6%
- Margin trending 1% above target
- Reduce non Value added activity. Room layout to remove unnecessary motion, One Piece Flow, line balancing, 5s
- Savings totalling €49,483.01