Truwood is a family owned and managed specialist joinery company servicing the interior fit out sector. Specialising in hospitality and commercial along with retail, leisure and tourism, public works, healthcare and education sectors, we provide bespoke joinery and associated works for both new build and refurbishment projects.
Quote – Lean Plus has improved the overall business processes within Truwood. We use KPIs to make decisions and evaluate if we are achieving our targets. We implemented a new Stage Gate process which has helped us to ensure all projects are delivered on time and within budget. We have employed a project co-ordinator to help with improving flow, throughput, lead times and quality within production and we have employed a new marketing executive to help increase export sales. Overall we are very happy with how Lean has impacted on Truwood to date.
Lean Plus Project Objectives
Lean Manufacturing Principles Implementation to establish a competitive cost base & extended international service capability. Central to the business development plan over the three years was:
- Sales Growth through Exports
- Organisational development & training
- Competitive position & international service capability by applying Lean principles
Established practices were embedded within the organisation and promoting and managing change was key.
Implementing processes where data and forward planning drove key decision making in an organisation meant developing the management team and our succession plan played a vital role in executing sustainable change.
- Decisions are now taken based on timely and relevant KPIs; and are focused in unison by the team; which in turn leads to continuous improvement projects being initiated by the team.
- Project Management is now standardised across all projects.
- The company are more outward facing with a new marketing strategy and resource in place.
- There is a focus and plan in place to develop export sales.
- Productivity has been increased by 15%; representing an annual saving of €100,000.
- Overall project ratings, as scored by the customer, have increased by 3% on 2016; with some categories increased by +10%.
- Succession planning resulted in a strengthened management team being established headed up by a new General Manager.
- A new STAGE-GATE project management process has been implemented and is promoted to our customers.