Techrete Ireland Limited designs, manufactures and install architectural precast cladding panels in a variety of finishes in the UK and Ireland. It offers a complete precast solution, from design through manufacture to erection.
Techrete Ireland Limited was founded in 1985, and expanded through acquiring and developing the crafts and skills of long-established precasting companies such as Roecrete in Ireland, and Empire Stone and Luda Products in the UK. In 1995, it acquired a UK manufacturing base at Brigg in North Lincolnshire and, in 1999, a new drawing office was opened in Leicester, to supplement the design work undertaken in Dublin.
Quote – The objectives of the project were all embracing, company wide, challenging and unlikely to be fully met in the timescale. The Lean journey has started with success in some areas and will continue driven by Internal trained champions.
Lean Transform Project Objectives
- Eliminate waste in the entire process from concept to installation of finished product on the building.
- Create trained Techrete personnel to drive the Lean initiative forward after the Lean transform program.
- Rapid growth.
- Brigg plant capacity increased by 33%.
- Increased demands on the engineering and design team.
- Construction mentality in a manufacturing facility.
- Deeply embedded culture with reluctance to embrace change.
- Engagement with Design Team, Engineering, Sales, Commercial, Purchasing, Project management, manufacturing and construction.
- Training of all production personnel to complete tasks in standard way following revised detailed work instructions.
- New Loading bays created for safe loading with 70%% less time and steps involved.
- Regular kaizen events on factory floor with production personnel, engineers and design personnel.
- Detailed plan for all projects created by amending the overall VSM.
- Ongoing projects in 8 purchasing streams started with detailed changes identified.
- Departmental manuals revised.
- Value Stream maps for all processes in the company from concept to installation.
- VSM for CAD (2D) and Tekla (3D) Design process including BIM helping as company embraces new technology.
- 33 Techrete personnel trained to green belt level (Design, Manufacture, Install).
- Waste material usage in GRC reduced from 40% to 13% with substantial financial savings and environmental benefits.
- 30% reduction in time to create steel reinforcement cages.
- Work Instructions displayed and followed in each section of the plant.
- One sales database has helped win more projects.
- Detailed project plan with milestones displayed in office.
- Standard torpedoes and other fixings now in use.
- Alignment of Design/Manufacture/Install objectives.
- Project manager has a new internal focus as well as external focus.